Canning and Preserving
Preserving fresh, seasonal produce you grow or purchase locally can be a rewarding experience. Whether you are just starting out or have years of experience with home food preservation, N.C. Cooperative Extension can you help you learn or update your skills. The following resources provide the latest guidelines on food preservation and are recommended Cooperative Extension programs across the United States.
- NC State University Food Safety Portal – Home Food Preservation
- General Canning: Overview of how to preserve food safety with boiling water or pressure canning.
- Boiling Water Canning: Fact sheets, recipes, and details on how to safely can high acid and acidified foods.
- Pressure Canning: Fact sheets, recipes, and details on how to safely can low acid foods as well as information testing a pressure canner.
- Fermentation and Pickling: Fact sheets, recipes, and info on how to safely ferment and pickle foods.
- Dehydration: Fact sheets, recipes, and materials on how to safely dry fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Food Storage: Safe food storage fact sheets and tips.
Quick Links to National Center for Home Food Preservation Resources