Spinach tastes good raw or cooked. Serve raw in salads or on sandwiches. It can be steamed, boiled, microwaved, sautéed, or stir-fried. It can also be added to soups, wraps, lasagna, or other vegetable dishes.
When selecting spinach, it should have fresh green leaves. Avoid if the leaves are limp, damaged, or spotted. Leaves should be dull green on top and bright green on the underside.
It is best to store spinach loosely wrap spinach in a damp paper towel and place in plastic bag. Refrigerate for up to five days. When ready to use, rinse under clean, running water, and dry with a paper towel.
Spinach is high in Vitamin A, which help keeps eyes and skin healthy and helps to protect against infections. Spinach is also high in Vitamin C, which helps heal cuts and wounds. It is a good source of iron, which is important for helping blood cells move oxygen through the body. It is a good source of fiber, which helps to maintain bowel function.
There are several ways to use spinach:
- Add spinach to other stir-fry vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli and snap peas.
- Spinach can easily be added into an omelet for a nutrient dense meal.
- Try baked spinach, cheese and onion stuffed chicken breasts.
- Spinach can be made into a pesto with olive oil and garlic. Use this to top pasta or a protein source like fish.
- Spinach can easily be added to a smoothie.
- Add frozen spinach to mashed potatoes for more vitamins and minerals in your meal.
Low Fat Spinach Dip
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, gently rubbed under cold running water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup green onion, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Rinse and prepare produce.
- Put fresh spinach in a skillet and sauté until wilted. Let cool.
- Cut spinach into small pieces so it will distribute evenly throughout the dip.
- Combine chili powder, garlic powder, green onion, lemon juice, yogurt, and spinach.
- Place in a serving dish; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh vegetables or whole wheat crackers.