Randolph County Voluntary Ag District

— Written By and last updated by
en Español / em Português

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.


Inglês é o idioma de controle desta página. Na medida que haja algum conflito entre o texto original em Inglês e a tradução, o Inglês prevalece.

Ao clicar no link de tradução, um serviço gratuito de tradução será ativado para converter a página para o Português. Como em qualquer tradução pela internet, a conversão não é sensivel ao contexto e pode não ocorrer a tradução para o significado orginal. O serviço de Extensão da Carolina do Norte (NC State Extension) não garante a exatidão do texto traduzido. Por favor, observe que algumas funções ou serviços podem não funcionar como esperado após a tradução.


English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

VAD sign

What is VAD?

Driving around the county, you may see signs like the one pictured above on the edge of a field or a forested area. While the sign is more creative than your typical road sign, it holds more significance to the land immediately surrounding it than you might know. The Voluntary Ag District (VAD) program was started in the early 2000’s as a provision in NC General Statutes that allows for county level ordinances that establishes an Agricultural Advisory Board that provides a voice for farm, forestry and horticultural interests in local government.

Why join VAD?

  • Encourages the preservation and protection of farmland and working forests.
  • Allows landowners to publicly recognize their farms.
  • May protect farms from negative impacts, such as waivers of water and sewer assessments, and public hearings for proposed condemnation.
  • Allows for Enhanced Voluntary Agricultural Districts to protect farms from development for 10 years.

Why does it matter?

  • Informs new landowners of farm presence and potential of dust, noise and smells associated with agriculture possibly reducing conflicts between neighbors
  • Requires that farmland be used as a last resort if land is considered for a public project that may condemn land.
  • Land enrolled in the program will not be assessed fees or required to connect to water and sewer service if they plan not to use the service.
  • Recognition, by signage, telling passersby that the farm owner is committed to an agricultural way of life in Randolph County.

Randolph County VAD Statistics

  • In 2021, the VAD added 101.41 acres of land.
  • Randolph County now has over 26,049.41 acres of land enrolled in the program
  • Of this, 33 parcels are enrolled in the Enhanced VAD with 1903.92 acres

Want to join? Here are the requirements.

  1. The farm property must be participating in the county farm present-use-value taxation program or meets the qualifications outlined in General Statute 105-377.3: 5 acres for horticulture use, 10 acres for general agriculture use, or 20 acres for forestry use.
  1. The property must have a conservation plan certified by the Natural Resources Conservation Service or NC Forest Service.


Important Links and Forms

VAD Application

Randolph County VAD Ordinance

County VAD Website


County Contacts for Application

Conservation Plan

  • Soil and Water   (336)318-6490
  • NRCS    (336)629-4449 Ext 3

Forest Management Plan

Randolph County NCFS  (336)879-1773

Tax Dept.

Catherine  (336)318-6500